Octave within perl?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave within perl?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 14:48:43 -0600 (CST)

On 18-Nov-1998, Colin Telmer <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am currently using perl to post-process some output from a financial
| application. Up until this point I have been able to make due with the
| simple mathematical functionality of perl, but I now want to go beyond
| this to compute some more complicated statitics. I realize pdl and friends
| exist, but I would prefer to use octave as I already use it in another
| part of this project, and moreover, I am quite comfortable and happy with
| it:) Anyway, what I would optimally like to do is to:
| 1) open an octave session from within perl (possibly passing some startup
| information) and leave it running to accept further commands.
| 2) pass commands to the octave session sequentially from perl.
|
| I could add much more to this list, but I thought I would begin simply to
| see if this is possinble within the limited time I have to do this. My
| other simpler idea is just to have a shell script call perl to produce
| some flat files to be read into octave. However, the first way seems much
| more flexible, and it seems very similar to how emacs runs inferior-octave
| sessions.

If you only want to communicate with Octave by passing text back and
forth between Octave and Perl, then you probably want to use something
like Comm.pl.  That will allow you to use psuedo-ttys to control
Octave, which is (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) what the inferior
Emacs mode uses on most systems.

There is currently no easy way to embed the Octave interpreter in
another application.  That might be nice, but it's not really a high
priority project for me.

Thanks,

jwe