Re: operation x=x(:)

From: John Logsdon
Subject: Re: operation x=x(:)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:27:53 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, John W. Eaton wrote:

> I thought that the code had been changed so that it always returned a
> column vector.  Actually, it was changed so that a single colon index
> would always work, but you still need to set do_fortran_indexing to 1
> to make it always return a column vector.

I thought to get close to Matlab compatability you *had* to have
do_fortran_indexing set to 1 (best in .octaverc)

> Perhaps this could be `fixed' for 2.1.x so that it always does the
> Matlab-compatible thing.  Does anyone have a strong opinion either
> way?

It is already, surely.  I see no need as there may be code out there that
uses the opposite sense with do_fortran_indexing=0

> Thanks,
>
> jwe

BTW, John mentioned contributions but did not suggest looking at the URL
which pre-prints a form for sending (by s-mail).  See JWE's message of
16th April.

Perhaps this URL could be added as a footer to the list messages, together
with a reminder of how to unsubscribe?  (My contribution is in the post,
John).

John