Re: Matlab File Format

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Matlab File Format
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:14:00 -0500 (CDT)

On 19-Jun-1999, A+A Adler <address@hidden> wrote:

| It may be possible to distribute *.oct files which hook to these
| libraries with a README file about how to get them.

The FSF would say that you can't sidestep the requirements of the GPL
simply by asking the user to do the link.  It may be that this
position is not legally enforceable, but it is clearly not within the
spirit of the license, so no, I would not agree to distribute any
hooks to non-free software as a part of Octave, and I would ask that
others also refrain from doing so.

Even if it were OK to do what you suggest, it might solve the problem
for some people on some systems, but what about those with
requirements that can't be met by the libraries distributed by the
MathWorks?  Where are the libraries for Linux on Alphas or NetBSD on
VAX hardware, or [name your unsupported OS/hardware combination]?

jwe