Re: Matlab File Format

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Matlab File Format
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:00:07 +0200 (CEST)

   > > "In relation to the Programs which licensee is entitled to use, Licensee
   > > shall not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer the
   > > Programs expect with respect to European Union Licensees (etc etc)"

   "Except as expressly provided by this Agreement, Licensee may not alter or
   modify the Programs without the consent of TMW. In particular, Licensse
   may not alter, adapt, translate or convert "M-Files" contained in the
   Programs in order to use those  files with any non-TMW software, nor may
   the Licensee incorporate or use "M-Files" or any other part of the
   Programs on ir as part of another computer program."

   since the data file is an output of the program... you are indirectly
   reverse-engineering the software to workout it's format.. thus I reckon
   breaching the license agreement...

I think this is not the case.   A program is clearly a different thing than
its output.   Unless there is special  wording regarding the  format of the
output files, one should be allowed to read inside them.

--
Francesco Potortì (researcher)         Voice:    +39-050-593 203 (op. 211)
Computer Networks Group                Fax:      +39-050-904052