Re: octave -1.14

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: octave -1.14
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:06:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   Hermann>  I am using octave 2.0.13 under WIN NT and it works fine.  Have
>   Hermann> somebody compiled octave-1.14 for NT. If yes, where can I find the
>   Hermann> executables
>
> If you use 2.0.13, you already have cygwin installed. Using the basic cygwin
> b20.1, I simply upgraded to Mumit Khan's drop-in replacements of the new
> egcs/gcc compiler and compiled 2.0.14 locally under NT. Works just fine. If
> only someone `in the know' could create a patch for dynamically loading
> functions which is so convenient under Linux ...

You can do the dynamic loading just fine, with one *big* caveat -- unlike
ELF and other Unix-based shared library implementations, Windows32 DLLs
need to be "self-contained" (ie., all symbols need to be there at DLL
link time). This makes Octave dl'd code HUGE and not quite worth it.

The solution is to do eg what Linux Octave does -- make all Octave
libraries shared as well. However, that's going to take a bit of work in
the code itself, and a bit of change in the configuration. Note the
overload term "bit" here, which can mean anything from a "small amount"
to "damn, that's a lot!".

Regards,
Mumit