WIN 98 /NT installation questions

From: h h
Subject: WIN 98 /NT installation questions
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:27:02 -0700 (PDT)

I followed the instructions in README.gnu-gnu-win32-install and
installed octave on a win98 machine. Octave runs and gnuplot plots (I
first open a DOS shell, then run sh.exe, then run octave). But I don't
know if I have done everything right.

1. What is the purpose of /tmp directory? (It is actually c:\tmp on my
win98 box)

2. How to add c:\gnuwin32\b19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin to $PATH? I added
this in my autoexec.bat file. And I first invoke a DOS shell and then
run sh.exe. Is this correct? Does this $PATH refer to the DOS PATH or
the cygnus bash shell PATH? Where do you set the PATH for the cygnus
shell?

3. In the instruction, it says
" * Setting the environment variable TERM to linux will allow less to
work in a bash terminal window and from within Octave."

Where do I set the TERM environment variable?

4. Again, the instruction says

"* Add C:\octave\bin to your path".

 Where do I do this? Is this for the cygnus shell?

5. The instruction:

" * In Octave, set the variable gnuplot_binary to point to the
pipe-gnuplot program

gnuplot_binary = "pipe-gnuplot /gnuplot/wgnuplot" "

Again, how do I set this up so that each time octave starts, it will be
automatically setup. I remember in Linux version of octave, there is a
.octaverc file. Is there a counter part in win98?

6: The instruction reads:

" * Optionally set the environment variables HOME (for your home
direoctory using Unix file name syntax) and USER (for your user name) "

Where are these setup in win98/NT?

Thanks for your help.

hh