compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:28:55 -0600 (CST)

On 31-Jan-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| did ever anybody successfully compile
| octave on a Cray-SV1?
|
| Or did ever anybody compile octave on SGI without the
| gnu-C Compiler?
|
| Or has anybody that much insight into the code,
| that he (or she?) knows how big the effort is to change
| the octave code to be compileable with ANY
| ANSI C++ Compiler?

It would require some work to accomodate compilers that are strict
about namespaces.

There are also some features of the GNU iostream implementation that
are used (the scan member function for istreams comes to mind).

I don't think these are impossible (or even terribly difficult)
problems to solve, but I've never needed to solve them, and so far, no
one has posted bug reports about them, so I guess it is not much of a
concern for most Octave users.

One way to help make Octave work with compilers other than g++, is to
try compiling it with another compiler and then report problems as you
find them.

Thanks,

jwe