octave & ATLAS

From: Stef Pillaert
Subject: octave & ATLAS
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:15:59 +0200

I'm trying to install octave 2.1.28 with optimized blas (ATLAS).
I'm having some problems with this, can anyone help me out (I'm very
unfamiliar with these kind of things, as you 'll soon notice...)

**First, I compiled ATLAS. I extracted all the .o files from the libcblas.a
& libF77blas.a ("ar x"), and put them in libatlas ("ar r") (Is this
allowed?)
I extracted the .o files from the liblapack.a file created by ATLAS ("ar
x"), and put them in the liblapack.a I had in my /usr/lib file (version
2.0.1) ("ar r")
Then, I wanted to have a shared version of libatlas. I created this by
extracting all the .o files from libatlas.a, and put them in libatlas.so
(with gcc -shared -o libatlas.so *.o): I did the same for the liblapack.a I
have, resulting in liblapack.so. Is this allowed? Then I put libatlas.a &
.so, and liblapack.a & .so in /usr/lib. Finally, I made a symbolic link from
libblas.a to libatlas.a (and the same for libblas.so to libatlas.so)

**I applied the patch I found in octave-sources (no. 13 & 14) (Little
problem: I had to go into each subdirectory to apply the patch to the
appropriate files, whatever -p? I used with patch. Is this normal?) Patch
seemed OK. Also installed the blas-xtra and lapack-xtra directories under
libcruft.

** after running autoconf, I ran configure
(--enable-dl --enable--shared --enable-lite-kernel).

zherk wasn't found in blas, dgemm_ was. This resulted in not compiling the
blas directory under libcruft (I think this is OK)
cheev_ wasn't found in lapack, wich resulted in make trying to build the
files in the libcruft/lapack directory. However, when I do "nm -s
/usr/lib/liblapack.a", I see that cheev_ is in it. The same when I do "nm -s
/usr/lib/liblapack.so").

Anyone an idea why my lapack library doesn't work for octave?

Thanks a lot,

Stef.