Re: Function-pointer - function as argument for functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Function-pointer - function as argument for functions
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:01:37 -0500 (CDT)

On 28-Apr-2000, Teemu Ikonen <address@hidden> wrote:

| > On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Etienne Grossmann wrote:
| > >   you can do it with :
| > > function retval = fun10( funname )
| > >   retval = feval( funname , 10 ) ;
|
| By the way, is there or has there ever been plans of supporting
| pointers or references in Octave?

Probably not.

| I know this would complicate the
| interpreter quite a lot, but the benefits would perhaps be even
| greater.

I'm not convinced.

| My another pet peeve, lack of member functions in structures (that is,
| functions of the name astruct.f() ) would be easily remedied with function
| references.

This might be possible, but I don't expect to implement this myself
any time soon.  Sorry.

If you feel strongly about it, then the way to make it happen is to
propose a complete design, implement it, and contribute it (or provide
sufficient funding to enable someone else to do it for you).

It is easy to say `I think feature X would be cool'.  It is a
completely different thing to actually make it work, and even harder
still to make it mesh well with the current syntax and semantics (much
of which are inherited from Matlab, of course).

jwe