Re: octave in bg ????

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave in bg ????
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:29:51 -0600

On 13-Nov-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| address@hidden schrieb:
| >
| > On 13-Nov-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
| >
| > | Hi,
| > | whenever I try to run octve in the background, octave starts sleeping
| > | and
| > | does not continue:
| > | --------------------------------------------------------------------------
| > | shell> octave -q  test_run_1.m &
| > | [1] 491322
| > | [1]  + Suspended (tty output)        octave -q test_run_1.m
| >
| > Try
| >
| >   shell> octave -q  test_run_1.m < /dev/null > test_run_1.out &
| >
| > You may also want to tell your shell to send output intended for the
| > standard error stream to the test_run_1.out file.
|
| No didnt work. same problem.

Are you sure?  Even if you use (Bourne shell syntax):

  shell> octave -q  test_run_1.m < /dev/null > test_run_1.out 2>&1 &

?

What terminal settings do you have (try running stty -a)?  In
particular, is tostop set?  What happens if you unset it (stty -tostop)?

Are you sure your script produces no output?

This is all the help I can offer.  If these fixes don't help, can
someone please try to debug it?

jwe