Re: The future of Octave

From: Kevin Straight
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:21:49 -0800 (PST)

On 11 Dec 2000, Trond Eivind [iso-8859-1] Glomsr?d wrote:
> Gtk+/GNOME is not in anyway Linux-specific, and is even backed by Sun,
> HP, IBM etc. There is a Gtk+ port for Windows, while I don't think
> there is one for Mac.

Apparently some guy just ported GNOME to Win/32.  Check out www.gnome.org.

While total portability is a nice goal, as long as we came up with
something that runs on Linux, Win/32, Sun, and BSD (the platforms GNOME
runs on), we have just served 90% of our user base.

How do I know this?  Look at my httpd logs for a typical week (keeping in
mind that I run an octave-specific site that few other people come
to).  The four OS above make up almost exactly 90% of what I think is a
legitimate sample:

<snip>
Listing operating systems, sorted by the number of requests.

no.: reqs: OS
---: ----: --
  1: 3164: Unix
   : 2609:   Linux
   :  279:   SunOS
   :  192:   Other Unix
   :   35:   HP-UX
   :   22:   BSD
   :   14:   OSF1
   :   13:   IRIX
  2: 1493: Windows
   :  566:   Windows NT
   :  373:   Windows 98
   :  222:   Windows 2000
   :  165:   Windows 95
   :  159:   Unknown Windows
   :    8:   Windows Me
  3:  129: OS unknown
  4:  125: Macintosh
   :   72:   Macintosh 68k
   :   53:   Macintosh PowerPC

<snip>

ps: I'm just making a point, not trying to talk you into jumping on the
gnome band wagon.

Kevin Straight
University of Idaho
www.uidaho.edu/??stra9456