Re: mkoctfile

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: mkoctfile
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:04:13 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Thomas Hoffmann wrote:

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to look into the OS/2 port of Octave, which has
> to fight with the same mechanism for dynamic linking as Windows and comes
> with a working mkoctfile.cmd? Klaus Gebhardt has ported Octave in a way that
> it consists of a bunch of DLLs and a rather small "main exe", IIRC.
> Some conversation about a common strategy of modularisation under OS/2 and
> Windows would be a good thing, I think.

That would be a very good idea indeed. Thanks for the pointer.

After posting last evening, I finally tracked down my DLL-building
tree, and now I have some idea of what the problems I had run into:

  All the libraries need to be built as DLLs, either as a single
  large one (my preference) or a set of separate ones, that the
  interpreter itself must link to.

>From your description, OS/2 folks have gone the route of building
multiple DLLs, which is also just fine and I'm assuming they've found
it to be just as simple, if not simpler than a single one (one advantage
that all the usual build scripts remain the same since you're still
linking agains the same set of archives, which in the DLL case would
be import libraries).

I'm not familiar at all with the OS/2 port, so I'll dig a bit through
the mailing list to see where I can get my hands on it. One goal that
I have of course is to make as few changes to Octave sources and build
configuration as possible, and have it be part of the mainline distro.

Regards,
Mumit