Re: Octave .oct files, egcs, and GCC...

From: Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Subject: Re: Octave .oct files, egcs, and GCC...
Date: 21 May 2001 19:00:34 -0400

Braddock Gaskill <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi folks,
> I just got to the bottom of something that has been mystifying me for
> some time.
>
> The include files <octave/oct.h> for a .oct file do not seem to parse
> cleanly with GCC, although they do with with EGCS (aka kgcc).  I've
> noticed for months that my .oct files were compiling with a LOT of
> warnings using g++.  However I just upgraded to Mandrake 8 with
> octave-2.0.16-8mdk, and now the <octave/oct.h> included headers won't
> compile at ALL with g++ (gcc vers 2.96).  They compile with no warnings
> using kgcc (which is egcs-2.91.66) using all the same flags.
>
> Knowing how crappy GCC C++ support is, I assume this is a bug with gcc
> rather than the octave code.

No, there are bugs in octave (some of it is  "the standards have changed the
last
decade" - they have been a very moving target)

The development series build fine with 2.96RH, which is what Mandrake copied.

> And to think I thought GCC and EGCS had already completed merging ages
> ago... :/

They didn't as much merge as rename egcs to gcc... old egcs isn't an
uptodate C++ compiler, the one we (Red Hat) started shipping in Red
Hat Linux 7 (with Mandrake now following our lead) is much more so.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.