Octave, PLplot, matwrap ...

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Octave, PLplot, matwrap ...
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:37:35 -0600

  "Ted" == Ted Harding <Ted> writes:
  Ted>  Thanks to people who responded to my query about picking coordinates
  Ted> off a plot.
  Ted>
  Ted> I thought I'd follow up Jose's suggestion of plpot, since according to
  Ted> the SourceForge site this is now bit well advanced and also has the
  Ted> octave interface included as part of the plpot distribution.
  Ted>
  Ted> However, trying to compile fails for me because 'configure' can't find
  Ted> "matwrap" and so disables compilation of the octave interface.
  Ted>
  Ted> Please, someone, what is "matwrap" and where can it be found?

It is the equivalent of swig for Octave and Matlab and can be found at
   http://lnc.usc.edu/~holt/matwrap/

If you use Debian, you can simply use the matwrap package I maintain. FYI its
Description fields reads as follows:

 Matwrap is a tool for interfacing C++ code into matrix-oriented scripting
 languages such as Octave, Tela or Matlab 5
 .
 It generates all the code to convert from the scripting language's internal
 types into the types that your C++ code understands (e.g., double, char *,
 float *, struct abc *). You do not need to understand any of the API details
 of the language to use your C++ code; just give matwrap a .h file describing
 your functions.
 .
 Brief list of features:
 .
  - Functions are automatically vectorized.
  - Arguments containing dimensions of other vector and matrix arguments can
    be computed automatically and need  not be specified.
  - Pointers to structures and classes are supported. Public member functions
    of classes may be called, and public data members may be evaluated or
    set. Inheritance is supported.

Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question
than a precise answer to the wrong question. -- John Tukey