Re: scatter-plotting by color

From: John Day
Subject: Re: scatter-plotting by color
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:58:35 -0500

[Commenting on my own help request]: Perhaps I didn't make the data structure clear. I have a 3-column matrix that looks like this:
-0.016634,-0.001467,3
-0.005236,-0.003526,2
0.006136,0.003776,4
0.002952,-0.009264,2

I want to scatter-plot cols 1 and 2 such that the plotted points are distinguished by the values in col 3, which are integers in the range 1..16. I know this is not hard to do, but I thought maybe someone had already written a nifty routine to do this, or perhaps I've overlooked an easy one-line solution here. Otherwise it seems I would have to write a function that maps integers into the plot() symbols for color and shape etc.

Thanks again,
John Day