RE: a question about octave

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: a question about octave
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:50:14 -0000 (GMT)

On 08-Jan-02 Claudio Scherer wrote:
> As a former user of MATLAB, I use, in long script files,
> to have the system telling me where it is, by writing values
> of some variables during the execution of the programs.
> In MATLAB I simple insert the name of the variable in the
> program without putting the semicolon at the end of the line.
> In OCTAVE this does not work. How can I circumvent this problem?
> In other words, how can I make the computer send me
> messages during the calculation?

Hi Claudio,
You need to flush the "stdout" buffer, which is sent to
the pager. Normally, you will only see the output when the
pager has a screen-full. If you flush it, the current
contents are displayed immediately.

For instance, try

  octave:1> for i=1:10
  >   fflush(stdout);
  >   pause(5);
  > endfor

I think you will find that this does what you want.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972