Re: fzero and fmins

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: fzero and fmins
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:11:05 +0000

  Hello,

From: Rene Rebe <address@hidden>

# Hi.
#
# I just started to use octave (because of Matlab in the university ...)
# - so some very stupid first try question:
#
# I'm missing the fzero and fmin function (when I remember right fmin
# got renamed to fminsearch in newer Matlab versions ...). Is there some
# nearly equvalent replacement for them in octave?

  There is no fmin, but I wrote a few minimization functions, which,
until I upload them to octave-forge (*) (http://octave.sf.net), you
can find at :

  http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~etienne/octave/uc_optim-2001.07.16.tar.gz

The functions I provide are for unconstrained minimization :

    Without derivatives : Nelder-Mead (function "nelder_mead_min").
    With first derivatives : Conjugate Gradient (function "cg_min").
    With first and second derivatives : Newton-like method (function "d2_min").
    A wrapper for the three functions above : the "minimize" function.

  As you can see, none is really like fmins, but they will minimize in
multidimensional spaces.

  Hth,

  Etienne

(*) octave-forge has a 'fmin' function.