Re: leasqr

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: leasqr
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:19:28 -0500

Christian,

When you are fitting, you want to have as smooth a space as possible.  You
definitely will not get this when you are trying to fit a sin function
because you will have local minima at the harmonics.

A much better approach in this case is to find the peak in the fourier
transform.  This will give you a good initial guess for all three of
frequency, amplitude and phase, which you can then refine using leasqr.

Or you could use something like the MUSIC algorithm (search for pmusic to
get the matlab documentation).  A variation of this is available as
spcline/musicsp.m in:

ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/comp.speech/tools/spctools/software/spcjune.tar
You may need some functions from octave-forge and minor editting for this
to run.  I don't recall if I ever tried it, but other functions from the
directory worked fine for me.

If you do use pmusic, or other functions from spctools, please ask the
author for permission to include them in octave-forge along with a license
which allows us to modify and redistribute them (e.g., GPL or X11 or public
domain).  Thanks.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden