confusion about dld's

From: Heber Farnsworth
Subject: confusion about dld's
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:59:01 -0500

I have written several dld functions in the past but now I'm faced with having to write a quite complex one and I'm bumping up against my ignorance. I'm no C++ wiz and I'm getting confused about octave_values. I was trying to compile my function and I was surprised to find that it appears that something like A*B*C, where A and C are matrices and B is a diagonal matrix, gives an octave_value and not a Matrix. Perhaps I'm misinterpretting the messages I'm getting from gcc.

In the past when I write dld functions I take the octave_value_list args and pick out the components and make them either Matrices, vectors, or doubles as seems appropriate. Then I convert the object to be return in to octave_values. In the middle of the program I've never dealt with octave_values. Do I have to? It seems like this is not an easy thing to deal with. Things like sums, inverses, transposes, etc. don't seem to work on them. Is that right?

I wouldn't mess with this complicated of a function but the non C++ version of this function takes 11 hours to run and I need to call this function several hundred times in the project I'm doing now so I have to find a faster way.

Heber