Re: 3 questions about octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: 3 questions about octave
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:43:09 -0400

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:21:39PM -0500, scherer wrote:
> Dear Sir
> I am using OCTAVE as main language in my course on Computer Methods for
> Physics.
> Some programs which have originally been written for MATLAB are now used
> with
> OCTAVE. The folowing difficulties apear:
> 1) After the  commentary lines (lines starting with %) I start the
> program with:
>       clear;   help name ;  (assume name.m is the name  of the script
> file)
>      The answer is  ' is not documented  (instead of the comentary
> lines); What am I
>      doing wrong? How can I have the commentary lines written on the
> screen?

I know it works for functions.  I haven't tried it for scripts.

> 2) The instruction:  legend('name of first line', 'etc')  is not
> accepted. How do I put
>       legends on the lines of my plot?

plot(x,y,';legend entry;');

OR

download legend.m (and supporting functions) from octave-forge
http://octave.sf.net.

The former is definitely preferred.  You will also notice that titles
and labels will not be showing up properly.  Unless you have an octave
flag set (automatic_replot IIRC), titles and labels will not be added
to the plot.  The other thing you will notice is that titles and labels
are not cleared between plots.

> 3) How can I have a second plot on the screen without deleting the
> previous one, i.e.,
>       on a separate window, as when one writes "figure; plot(.....)" in
> MATLAB ?

figure(1);

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden