Re: Octave on XP

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Octave on XP
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:48:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 address@hidden wrote:
> The problem seems to be in the batch file, octave.bat. I have edited mine to
> see what was going on and I see the error message when the batch file is
> trying to call bash.exe. I have attached my bat file and a bmp of the error
> message.
>
> Could you send me your octave.bat file so I can compare it to mine?
> Thanks,

There are many solutions for octave on windows.

The most complete overview is maintained by Philip Nienhuis
at http://octave.sourceforge.net/Octave_Windows.htm

I maintain the cygwin package of
octave + octave-forge + gnuplot + ATLAS.
This seems to work on almost all MS platforms.

INSTALL:

1. Install cygwin from www.cygwin.com
2. Get the file:
     octave-2.1.36-ATLAS-P3SSE1-gnuplot-octaveforge.tar.bz2
   from octave.sf.net.
3. Install the file using the cygwin installer,
   or cd /; tar xvfj /path/to/package.tar.bz2

NOTE:

I currently only provide a P3 optimized version of ATLAS,
because this seems to outperform the P4 and ATHLON versions,
even on those systems. I have no idea why.

USE:

run C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat, then type octave

or

run C:\cygwin\bin\octave.exe directly, but first
   include C:\cygwin\bin in your PATH.

andy
Andy Adler,                address@hidden