Re: 3d plotting, griddata and deluanayn

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: 3d plotting, griddata and deluanayn
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:20:06 -0500

João Cardoso wrote:

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 02:28, Paul Kienzle wrote:
| If you are on Windows, you will need to first figure out how to
| compile qhull for Windows.  We haven't done so yet.

I should add that under the most recent cygwin and the next mingw,
there is no reason it shouldn't build and be usable even as a DLL.
If nothing else, static linking should be possible.

| If you are on unix, follow the octave-forge/main/geometry/readme
| instructions
| for installing qhull.  I haven't tried yet with the most recent qhull
| release.
|
| Download the correct version of octave-forge (octave.sf.net) for your
| particular
| version of octave (the latest is for octave 2.1.40 I believe --- if
| you are using
| something more recent, you will need to get the CVS version).
|
|     ./configure
|     make
|     make install
|
| griddata does not work as quickly as I would like.  Talk to the
| qhull author about how to improve it if it is not fast enough for
| you.

I don't think that Qhull is slow, slow is the searching of triangles in tsearch.

Agreed. Time permitting, I understand the author of qhull is interested in having griddata
functionality in qhull.  Please let him know what you are doing.

I'm using Sakov's "nn" (natural neighbors) library http://www.marine.csiro.au/~sakov/ that uses Lawson's "walking triangle" algorithm to search for a triangle given a point. "nn" uses "triangle", which not free software, but I have adapted it to work with Qhull.

Oops --- Andreas is using triangle in his FEM stuff. Your are right --- the license is not open source since it does not allow redistribution for commercial purposes. Does
triangle do anything that qhull doesn't?

plgriddata() will soon be integrated into PLplot.
Any chance you could create 'griddata' which we could include in octave-forge
and call that from plgriddata?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden