Re: fink octave problems

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: fink octave problems
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:14:04 +0200

On fredag, apr 25, 2003, at 03:58 Europe/Stockholm, Heber Farnsworth wrote:

I recently got a new powerbook (these things are so cool) and today I wanted to install octave on it so I could do some of the work I usually do on my Linux box on the laptop while I travel,etc. So I installed fink and got gnuplot and octave-2.1.40. Everything seemed to work fine. Then I ran a short job that I had run previously on my Linux box and was horrified to find that the results were not the > same.

After thinking for a bit I remember a while back that someone had complained of numerical inaccuracies with octave on ppc and that it was fixed in a newer version.

This was a bug caused by the fink install script, _not_ a bug in octave.

Questions:

1.  If this is the case then why doesn't fink have the working version?
Because nobody volunteered to update the package?
AFAIK, the maintainer did update the package to 2.1.46, but you need to update your package descriptions. See fink FAQ

2.  Is there any way I can get a binary?
3. If I have to build it myself do I need anything else besides the developer tools from Apple?

readline
g77

/Per