From: John W. Eaton
Subject: loading a binary mat-file
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:26:18 -0500

On 18-Jun-2003, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

| Hi,
| I'm a student of the University of Stuttgart and a new user of Octave. I want
| to use my old mat-files I wrote with Matlab6.5. in the university at home
with
| octave. So I saved them as a binary mat-file in Matlab. Now I tryed to open
| them in Octave with: load -mat-binary filename; and I got the error: load:
| couldn't open input file 'filename'. But it works to save files in Octave
with
| the option -mat-binary and to open them in Matlap. Can anybody help me?
| And what is the difference between -mat4-binary and -mat-binary?

You shouldn't need an option for loading.  Octave can automatically
detect the file type.  If you are using a recent development version
of Octave (for example, 2.1.49) then most features of newer .mat files
should be handled OK.  But you don't say what version of Octave you
are using or exactly what is in the file you are trying to load, so it
is impossible to tell precisely why you are having this problem.

Perhaps there is a bug in Octave.  If so, and you would like to see it
fixed, then you'll need to provide enough information for that to
happen.  Please read the bugs chapter of the Octave manual
(http://www.octave.org/bugs.html) to see how you can help.

jwe