Alternative to Simulink/Scicos for Octave?

From: Ivan Martinez
Subject: Alternative to Simulink/Scicos for Octave?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:41:01 +0200

        Hello all,
        I'm writing a paper called "Open-source Software for Engine Models
Development and Testing", to be presented at the Society of Automotive
Engineers meeting 2004. The paper tries to build a picture of what
open-source software is available for such application, and how it can be
used.
        The paper describes Scilab, the Octave competitor you probably know.
Scilab
has a graphical application to define dynamic systems, Simulink-style, called
Scicos. Scicos can generate a C implementation of the dynamic system, using
the CodeGen package. There is one tool to generate code for a specific
realtime systems, RTAI-Lab for RTAI. RTAI-Lab also makes it easier to include
hardware inputs and outputs in the block diagram, by interfacing the drivers
library called Comedi.
        The paper will also describe Octave, so I would like to know which
alternatives are in Octave for all the tools mentioned above. I searched in
your mailing lists and I only found about Ptolemy and Gnans. But has Ptolemy
anything to do with Octave?. And is Gnans still being developed?. Are there
other tools for dynamic-system modelling, including non-graphical ones?. What
about generators of standard and system-specific code?. And interfacing
hardware devices to connect to laboratory equipment?.
        Please notice I'm only interested in free/open-source software still
being
actively developed. Thank you.
        Ivan Martinez