Re: lsim vs. filter for simulation in Octave 2.1.50

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: lsim vs. filter for simulation in Octave 2.1.50
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:29:05 -0600

Sorry, I was mistaken (again).  The response functions were not
identical, I read the wrong output.  I'd still like to know how to
implement a MIMO OE model (with a zero-lag numerator) with lsim if
anyone can tell me.  Thanks.

-EJR

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 15:01, E. Joshua Rigler wrote:
> Actually, my parameterization gives me exactly the same impulse response
> as the parameterization you present.  However, I wasn't actually trying
> for an ARMAX model, but rather a 1st order OE (output error) model with
> input feedthrough at zero lag (i.e.
>
>   ^         1         ^         1
>   y(n) = - SUM a(k+1) y(n-k) + SUM b(k+1) x(n-k)
>            k=1                 k=0
>
> So I am even more confused than before.  Thanks for your help though.
>
> -EJR
>

> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 12:39, Geraint Paul Bevan wrote:
>

> > I think the problem here is with your conversion from your ARMAX model
> > to a state space representation. Try this instead
> >
> > Problem:
> > A = [1, 0.33]
> > B = [0.2, 0.1]
> >
> > Y1 + 0.33 Y0 = 0.2 U1 + 0.1 U0
> >
> > Let:
> > Y  = Y1
> > X1 = Y0
> > X2 = U0
> > U  = U1
> >
> > Y   = -0.33 X1 + 0.1 X2 + 0.2 U
> > dX1 = Y - X1
> > ~    = -1.33 X1 + 0.1 X2 + 0.2 U
> > dX2 = U - X2
> >
> > State space:
> > A = [ -1.33, 0.1 ; 0, -1 ];
> > B = [ 0.2; 1 ];
> > C = [ -0.33, 0.1 ];
> > D = [ 0.2 ];
> >
> > sysd = ss2sys(A,B,C,D,1)
> > sysc = d2c(sysd)

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong,
to the American public. -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918.