Re: What linux distro is recommended

From: Obed Sands
Subject: Re: What linux distro is recommended
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:59:04 -0500

"A. Danial" wrote:

> On Saturday 25 October 2003 12:21 pm, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:
> > Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Obed Sands wrote:
> > > I believe there
> > > are several users on this list who would recommend Debian. The
> > > advantage of Debian is you can use apt-get to install the latest
> > > version without compiling anything yourself.
> >
> > I don't think it is right to advice a Linux novice to start out using
> > Debian. I did this myself, and I learned a lot, but it also took a lot
> > of because Debian does not work out of the box for novice users.
>
> I disagree.  By far the easiest Linux install I've ever witnessed
> is Debian-based.  This distribution I'm referring to is Knoppix,
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-old-en.html

[stuff deleted]
> Debian, via Knoppix as the installation vehicle, is the way to go
> for novices (and everyone else too really).   -- Al

Thank you for the info. I was beginning to get concerned that my
question had caused quite a broughaha that may have errupted into
a new set of crusades. It was not my intention to 'stir the pot.'
so.

I don't consider myself to be a linux novice. I've been using
linux regularly since SuSE 4.3 (or maybe 5.3, around '97 or '98.)
I'm more of a casual user, a linux sloth, if you like. A couple of
years ago I bought a set of Debian disks but found the instructions
way to much to deal with. My Debian disks are at my first wife's
house, together with my self-flaggelation scourge and my hair
shirt.

I intend to go with Knoppix, as you recommend. If this doesn't
work out (I bought a relatively zippy new laptop, it's got an
GeForce 5600 graphics processor with 64 MBytes memory) then I'll
go pack to SuSE.

THanks again.

Scott Sands

PS I will likely send my $199 Unix Licensure Fee to either the
RedHat Legal Defense fund or the FSF.