Re: Uninstalling windows octave destroyed my cygwin installation!

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: Uninstalling windows octave destroyed my cygwin installation!
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:33:34 +0100

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:23:03 -0600
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've fixed it to point to my directions for installing Octave as a
> Cygwin package, and also to http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave.

Just checked this site and saw no explanation at all about the provided
packages. Even I, as a somewhat knowledgeable user, am quite likely to
pick the wrong package from this download site.

Thus it might be a good idea to say exactly which packages are needed, i.e.

 a) The Cygwin package, if Cygwin is already installed (recommended)
 b) The ??? package, if the user knows for certain that (s)he will never
    install Cygwin (not recommended)

Moreover I wonder whether a seperate Cygwin install is required in any
case, eg. for writing Octave extensions in C (which requires gcc, which
is not part of the Octave standalone package).

Christoph Dalitz