Installation of recommended version using Fink

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Installation of recommended version using Fink
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:56:08 -0800

on 12/8/03 7:17 AM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:
> 2.1.35 is old.  Why not use hte latest recommended version, 2.1.50?

I've tried to upgrade to recommended version, 2.1.50 on Mac using Fink on 2
Dec 2003 but they have this version still in the unstable trees (whatever
that means) (see below). I found it difficult to even install octave 2.1.46
using Fink/FinkCommander because I did not anticipate any question regarding
Xfree86-base, xfree86, system-x free86 (X11 variations? and having little to
do with Octave). I installed from source because that's what I had to do the
first time and did not realize that a binary of Octave 2.1.46 is available.
I have tar.gz files of octave 2.1.50 and even 2.1.52 on my desktop but I
really don't know how to proceed.

In summary, as much as I like Octave, I found it difficult to install Octave
on Mac (it was easy to install a binary version of 2.1.36 on PC with Windows
95) and even more difficult to upgrade to version 2.1.46 on a Mac , and I
seem to lack the skills to upgrade to recommended version 2.1.50.
Regards, Henry