undefined symbol rl_get_screen_size

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: undefined symbol rl_get_screen_size
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:03:11 -0600

On  6-Jan-2004, Ada Cheng <address@hidden> wrote:

|       I am having trouble to get octave working with readline (even
| though the installation was successful) on my laptop.  The error that I
| receive when in octave are:
| /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/octave-2.1.50/liboctave.so:
| Undefined symbol "rl_get_screen_size"
|
| ldconfig -r shows:
|     47:-lreadline.4 => /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
|    324:-lreadline.4 => /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.4
|
| I have deinstall and reinstall Octave temporarily by disabling readline in
| order to get a working Octave.  I will like to know how to fix the problem
| above as without readline I cannot access octave_hist.

I haven't seen any responses to this yet.  It looks like a system
problem (the dynamic linker on your system doesn't know how to find
the right library).  You can probably fix that by running something
like ldconfig or by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your environment.
Details will likely be system dependent.

As a reminder to all subscribers, if you get an off-list response that
solves your problem, or even if you simply find the solution yourself,
please post a summary of the solution so others on the list can also
benefit from the information, and so that we will know that the
problem is solved.

Thanks,

jwe