Re: mkoctfile under windows

From: Dobieslaw Paleczka
Subject: Re: mkoctfile under windows
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:42:23 -0600

I can not find octave in Cygwin setup.

DP

>From help-octave-request at bevo dot che dot wisc dot edu Wed Feb 25
11:54:38 2004
From: "John W. Eaton" <jwe at bevo dot che dot wisc dot edu>
To: Paul Kienzle <pkienzle at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Cc: <help-octave at bevo dot che dot wisc dot edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:52:50 -0600

On 25-Feb-2004, Paul Kienzle <pkienzle at users dot sourceforge dot net>
wrote:

| That should still be more convenient than downloading
| and installing cygwin, plus it guarantees a compatible devel
| environment for the installed octave binaries.

Why do you say that, when Cygwin can be installed with the simple
point-and-click setup.exe installer?

It should not be too hard to build an octave-dev Cygwin package that
depends on all the necessary tools.  Then it seems to me that the
installation steps would be

  download/run the cygwin setup.exe

  choose to install the octave-dev package (causes all other necessary
  packages to be selected for installation)

  click next next next finish (or whatever)

Perhaps even these steps could be automated for a one-click solution
that would not require people to find the octave-dev package in a list.

But why not take advantage of the Cygwin package system?

jwe