Re: unwanted multiple plots

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: unwanted multiple plots
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:50:19 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:

So I think it is a mistake to set the output device to a hardcopy
terminal and then use plotting commands.  In almost all cases, what
you want to do is make a plot and then print it by doing something
like Dmitri suggested with /dev/null, or, if you are working
interactively, by displaying the plot on the screen.

In my opinion use of 'gset' functions should be discouraged.

If I work interactively I usually do
plot(something)
print(something)

The only place I use 'gset term' is when I have a script which
goal is to produce a figure for a paper/web page or something like that.
Doing plot() and print() routine would make a flash on a screen, or some
strange errors, if X11 is not available (running script on
vt100 terminal).

> Since this comes up frequently, are there any changes we could make so
> that it is easier to see the recommended way?

One possibility is  to have something like 'hcplot()'
(for HardCopy Plot) which does everything plot does, except
sending data to gnuplot.

jwe

Dmitri.