Re: Problem with 2.1.57 loading Octave binary format data file

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Problem with 2.1.57 loading Octave binary format data file
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:34:54 -0500 (EST)

   I didn't mean to make it sound like it's a fundamental problem, it's
   just the usual dependency-hell. By way of example: I just picked up
   gcc 3.3.3 tarball... but it requires a recent binutils. There's no
   RPM for that version of binutils for 7.3, so I have to install that
   from source too. But binutils is not a trivial package to install from
   sources, because, among other things, it requires doing an rpm --erase
   on the existing binutils, which temporarily leaves one without a working
   ld... etc., etc.

   Of course these are just annoyances and can be worked. My whine
   was just that when one is hard pressed for time, doing a source
   install of a new gcc version is a far cry from "rpm -Uih gcc-x.x.x.rpm",
   which I've become spoiled with.

That's why it's nice to use tools which resolve dependencies, like Debian
package tools or yum in the RPM space. I can't say for sure that it'll work,
but I think you have a good chance with 'yum upgrade gcc'.

THe problem with yum is that it's commandline , and the default Fedora config
hits
just the RedHat servers, which are bandwidth limited to something like 15kB/s. I
changed /etc/yum.conf (?) to consult a local file system where I dumped at least
the base install (I still go to Fedora sites for upgrades, rather than mirror
them locally---I will do mirroring later).