Re: Problem with exist()

From: Hamish Allan
Subject: Re: Problem with exist()
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 21:20:44 +0100

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply, and thank you in a wider sense for Octave!

I should have realised what the problem was, I think I must have previously used some language where variables in the interpreter's namespace are available globally.

Basically I was trying to make my code keep track of dependencies for me. The loading of the PCM data is just the first step; then I'm creating a spectogram, doing some post-processing on that, then two branches of further processing from that, each processed further themselves and then combined, etc... all for various different audio data. I'd like (during development) just to be able to alter some code, type "clear thirdresult; go" rather than "thirdresult = process2(secondresult); fourthresult = process3(thirdresult); fifthresult = process4a(fourthresult); " etc.

But, doubtless there are simpler ways (I don't want to get into eval(["global ", varname]); !!!)

Thanks again,
Hamish

Why not just use something like

  function ret = auinf (name)

    ret = auload (file_in_loadpath (sprintf ("%s.wav", name)));

  endfunction

and then call it like this to get the audio_stuff in the top-level
workspace:

  xyz_pcm = auinf ("xyz");

?  Then just don't call it again for the same argument name unless you
want to reload the file.

| BUT, when I call it again, it loads the data again:

That's because you are evaluating the command that makes the variable
name xyz_pcm in the workspace of the caller.  The variable xyz_pcm
never exists in the workspace of your auinf function.

jwe