Re: Data structures in Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Data structures in Octave
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:25:30 -0400

It is easy enough to build up data structures using cell arrays or structure arrays, however for performance, you want to avoid loops as much as possible.

So instead of:

        d(1).v = [1,2];
        d(1).s = 3;
        d(2).v = [3,4];
        d(2).s = 7;
        d(3).v = [5,6];
        d(3).s = 12;

        for i=1:length(d), if sum(d(i).v) != d(i).s, i, end; end

you would do:

        c.v=[1,2;3,4;5,6];
        c.s=[3;7;12];

        find(sum(c.v,2) != c.s)

There are plenty of tutorial resources available. A google search for "matlab tutorial" gives 120,000 hits. Octave is close enough to matlab that you should be able to use them.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden