Ctrl Z ( ASCI 26 ) in script files

From: Fabian
Subject: Ctrl Z ( ASCI 26 ) in script files
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:42:44 -0500

Among other operating systems I still need OS/2 Warp.
Octave has been successfully ported to OS/2 by Klaus Gebhardt.
His last release is actually a bit out-of-date
( AFAIK latest ported Octave Version was V2.1.17 ).
Nethertheless, it's quite usefull for me.

Unfortunately, the OS/2 system editor  'e.exe'  puts a single
ASCII 26 ( Ctrl Z ) character to the end of any text file
( e.g. Octave *.m - scripts )  to define an EOF tag.

Up to about Octave V2.1.36 there hasn't been any problem to
run such scripts with terminating ASCII 26 also on another systems
e.g. Octave on Cygwin - Windows.

But now, Octave V2.1.57, refuses to load such scripts.
Assume xyz.m such a script created by OS/2, then
the following error is created:

Cygwin-Octave V2.1.57> xyz

error: invalid character `?' (ASCII 26) near line 56, column 2
parse error near line 56 of file /home//LinAlg/..../xyz.m

  syntax error

>>> ?
    ^

Are there any strong arguments against reimplementation
of the previous behaviour of Octave's parser ?

Rolf Fabian
Institute for Analytical Sciences ( Department Berlin )