Re: downloaded octave from fink and can't start it

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: downloaded octave from fink and can't start it
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:07:42 -0600

on 6/8/04 9:07 AM, djanse1 at address@hidden wrote:

> Hello,
> I just finished downloading and installing the octave package through fink on
> my iBook under
> Darwin. I had X11 pre-installed, but how do I get octave to work now? When I
> did this a year ago with
> my other iBook I could just go into X11 and type 'octave' and it would start.
> Do I have to prepare an
> access path? Any ideas? (The package downloaded 14 pieces successfully through
> the binary
> packages...)
> thanks
> Daniel

Also be aware that on the Mac you can run octave/gnuplot in a terminal
window without X11. The software used is called aquaterm, and the terminal
type in octave is "aqua." You should get aquaterm along with the fink
installation. You need to define, if fink hasn't already done it, the
environment variable GNUTERM as aqua in the appropriate login file (.tcshrc,
.bashrc, etc.) to use this approach.

The main advantage of aquaterm is that when you see a plot on the screen,
you can save it directly to a .pdf or .eps file without the necessity of
first doing a replot to a .ps file or another format as you must do with
X11.

Joe Koski