Re: Re: recursion and fsolve

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re: recursion and fsolve
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:48:38 -0400

On  6-Aug-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| If multiple entry points only occur in randlib my preference would be to
| get the mersenne twister and zigurat code from octave-forge in to octave
| and eliminate randlib entirely.

If we are going to replace the current random number generation code
in Octave, I think it would be good to make it compatible with
Matlab's generator if we can (yes, some people would like to be able
to generate precisely the same sequence with both systems so they can
compare results).  An M-file version of the random number generator
exists on the MathWorks web pages but it is not clear whether it will
be possible to use that to write our own derivative version.  But if
it turns out that there is no way to have compatibility, then yes, we
should use a better generator.

jwe