Re: autoconf check for octave version and mex.h?

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: autoconf check for octave version and mex.h?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:22:02 -0500

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:48:07PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11-Aug-2004, Dan McMahill <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Has anyone written an autoconf test that will figure out what version of
> | octave is installed
>
> I've been guilty of having autoconf check for versions myself, but it
> is definitely not the autoconf way.  You really should be checking for
> features instead.

how about a check then that says 'mex is from octave'
vs 'mex is from matlab'?  Clearly I can do AC_PATH_PROG(MEX, mex)
to locate a mex program, but I'm not sure how to figure out
what I've got after that.

The reason I wanted to look for a version is to be able to setup some
versioned install directories to make it easier to install a package against
multiple versions of octave.

For example, the scilab frontend for the package in question will
put stuff in libexec/pkgname-pkgver/scilab-scilabver/*  which lets
multiple versions of 'pkg' built against multiple versions of 'scilab'
coexist.  Maybe a bad idea, but I've seen enough pain when some
big packages have transitioned from one major version to another major
version and they needed to coexist during a transition period.

-Dan