From: Mauro Casadei
Subject: Loading a matrix from ASCII file (avoiding scripting?)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:58:46 +0200

Hi all !

I am a newcomer to Octave and to this list, so this is my chance to say hi
to everybody ! :-)

My problem is that I would like to be able to load into arrays and/or
matrixes some plain, tab-delimited real/integers data.

The file format would be something like the following:

0.0 1.0 3.0
1.0  2.5 5.1

I have browsed through both the manuals AND the archive of this list, and
tried the suggestions but I could not find a suitable working solution.

For example, if I issue the command

Load “xxx.txt”

I recieve the following output:

>> load "xxx.txt"
>> x = ans
error: `ans' undefined near line 3 column 5
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 3, column 3

The file “xxx.txt” is in the correct location (I verified it using the “ls”
command).

I am using Octave for Windows, and I downloaded and installed directly the
binaries version for Win (octave-forge-windows), available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave.

It would great to able to load a matrix without scripting, with a single (or
maybe 2) command... :)

Can anyone help?

Thanks all !!

Mauro