Re: Octave on Windows XP using Cygwin: plotting ?

From: Bart Vandewoestyne
Subject: Re: Octave on Windows XP using Cygwin: plotting ?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:40:30 -0500

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 01:38:46PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:

> I think the problem is that in the time that has passed since I
> created the Cygwin packages for Octave and gnuplot, a new package for
> gnuplot appeared in the official set of Cygwin packages.  That version
> is a native Cygwin build, which can't open plot windows directly in
> Windows.  If you want to do that (and I think it is better than
> running X just to get plotting to work) then you can do the following:
>
>   * Download a binary of gnuplot for Windows from the gnuplot area on
>     sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot).  Click on
>     the download button next to the 4.0.0 version of gnuplot.  Then
>     download the file gp400win32.zip.
>
>   * Unzip the gp400win32.zip file.
>
>   * Copy the files
>
>       pgnuplot.exe  wgnuplot.exe  wgnuplot.hlp  wgnuplot.mnu
>
>     to /usr/local/bin in your Cygwin installation.
>
>   * Test it by running Octave again and trying to make a plot.  For
>     example, sombrero (41).

Thanks John, this indeed worked.

Still, now, I have the overhead of Cygwin.  Suppose I was someone who
just needed Octave + plotting capabilities on Windows and I am not
really interested in installing Cygwin, is it then also possible to get
things working without Cygwin?

Would i then only have to install the following file octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe
from

Is this enough, or dhoesn't this installer include gnuplot and do I then also
need the files from gp400win32.zip as you mentioned?  And if 'yes' to
this last question, then do i need to 'connect' octave and gnuplot in a
certain way for them to be able to work together?

Regards,
Bart

PS: this might be a little off-topic, but for those interested: I am
maintaining a list of Open Source Software for Windows.  See
http://osswin.sourceforge.net/  I'm quite sure a lot of you will find it
an interesting list :-)

--
My email address is now Bart.Vandewoestyne AT telenet.be