Re: Octave advocacy

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave advocacy
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:41:39 +0200

Why not include the line

#! /usr/local/bin/octave -q

as the first line of your script and then the script itself is execeutable

D.

According to Mike Miller <address@hidden> (on 09/17/04):
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, John B. Thoo wrote:
>
> >On Sep 16, 2004, at 10:16 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> >
> >>I'll tell you one thing.  I can do things like this in Octave...
> >>
> >>echo 'sqrt(29)' | octave -q
> >
> >That's cool!  I didn't know about that.  Neat.  Thanks.
>

> Of course, I'm working in a unix environment.  The truth is, I use a
> little script like this:
>
> -------begin script on next line---------
> #!/usr/local/bin/tcsh -f
>
> echo "$1" | /usr/local/bin/octave -q
> -------end script on previous line---------
>
> I call the script "compute" and I put it in my path.  You might have to
> change the paths in the script, and you have to chmod to make it
> executable.
>
> Once you have the script installed, instead of this....
>
> echo 'sqrt(29)' | octave -q
>
> ...you can do this...
>
> compute 'sqrt(29)'
>
> ...which is a little easier.  I think every unix system should have
> something like this for quick command line computations.  It's very handy.
> Of course, it can do a *lot* - loading data files and analyzing them using
> matrix operations, for example.
>
> I like to call octave from scripts when I need random numbers quickly.
> Programs like gawk always give the same random numbers every time, but
> Octave uses the system clock to generate a seed.
>
> Best,
>
> Mike

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary