Re: sparse seg-faults on Solaris 2.8

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: sparse seg-faults on Solaris 2.8
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:03:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Johansson Nicklas (RTLSN-NPJ) wrote:
> I have also compiled octave-forge-2004.09.09 with Octave-2.1.59,
> but I'm having troubles with the sparse functions. Writing
>
>  S = sparse(3,3);
>
> causes Octave to panic with segmentation violation. The same problem
> exists with octave-2.1.57 and octave-forge-2004.07.07.

Is this also a problem with
  sparse(zeros(3))
and
  sparse([],[],[],3,3)

> I've managed to track the execution to dCreate_CompCol_Matrix in the
> SuperLU package before the seg-fault occurs, but I've failed to find
> any explanation.

sparse needs to pass malloced pointers to dCreate_CompCol_Matrix.
If the matrix is all zeros, I have code to increase the size
of the allocated memory to 1 byte. However, this might break with
Solaris malloc.

Is anyone seeing this problem on other architectures?

Andy