Re: segmentation fault when load more then 2.1 GB

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: segmentation fault when load more then 2.1 GB
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:45:47 -0400

On  1-Oct-2004, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| address@hidden wrote:
| > On 27-Sep-2004, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
| >
| > | I try to load a file with 8GB into octave.
| > |
| > | Unfortunately it immediately crashes once it hits the 2GB barrier:
| > | -----------------------------------------------------
| > | octave:1> load ftn51.mat
| > | panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| > | attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
| > | save to `octave-core' complete
| > | Segmentation fault
| > | -----------------------------------------------------
| > | My machine has 24GB main memory.
| > | The file has 8GB:
| > | 8153243903 Sep 27 14:22 ftn51.mat
| > |
| > |
| > | I used octave 2.1.44 on Itanium2, Linux 2.4.22-11.msc-smp ia64
| > | However I will try 2.1.57 now.
| >
| > It won't help.  This is a known problem, with no quick fix.  However,
| > there have been some discussions about how to start fixing it (see the
| > maintainers list).  So far, no one has started to do the work in a way
| > that will be likely to be included in a new snapshot or release.
|
| Why not changing ftell/fseek etc. to ftello/fseeko?
| http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~luo/linux_lfs.html
| then 64bit large files support can be enabled during compile time.

That could allow you to read large files, but what will you do with
the data once you have read it?  Octave does not currently support
arrays larger than 2GB on systems that have 32-bit ints.  Or are you
saying that the file is larger than 8GB, but it contains no individual
matrix objects that are larger than about 2GB?

jwe