Re: request recommendations for using octave with windows

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: request recommendations for using octave with windows
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:58:51 +0100

BTW I forgot to add that you can download Cygwin, write to a CD, distribute and install it from that. We distrubute Cygwin over the network in our lab. because it finds a lot of use as an X-terminal for our Tru64 machines.

A big plus, is that not only do you introduce your students to Linux but they get the full range of gnu compilers, python and all the other bits and pieces. By running gcc with the -mno-cygwin option, they can build Windows APIs too. As was said the other day on this list, the only real snag is that the system of file naming is different and sometimes produces strange effects. If a dos programme is invoked from Cygwin that requires filenames, Cygwin makes all the single back slashes disappear... LF vs CR/LF is also a bit confusing to begin with; it just takes careful explanation.

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Thomas" <address@hidden>