Re: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.3.3

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.3.3
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:27:27 +0100

I'm pretty sure the problem is with SJLJ exception handling being much
slower than the method used with Dwarf2.  The reason the problem shows
up with new/delete is because new throws an exception if it fails.  So

That's correct

If SJLJ exception handling is used by MinGW, then I don't think you'll
see an improvement.

That is what is being reported by those stalwarts who are trying MinGW.

For what it is worth, I notice that the time penalty for new/delete goes away with the builds of gcc-4.0 that I am using for gfortran development. There is a small problem with libgfortran that I have on my list of todo's, in order that octave can be built. I'll put that next on the list. In the mean time, I will build a Cygwin gcc-3.4 this weekend and build octave with that. I am rather sure that the --version information that gcc is a Mingw special is a "bad stuff" indicator.

Paul T