Re: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.4.3

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.4.3
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:51:34 +0200

Paul,

This is exactly what happened to me and I opened a new thread on it. For me it also ruined the previous 2.1.57 octave which worked up till than.

Did you find any solution yet?

Paul Thomas wrote:
John,

I built gcc-3.4.3 on Cygwin, with --enable-shared. I leapt straight in and built octave-2.1.64, again with --enable-shared, but the result is broken

$ octave
warning: kpathsea: variable `ye' references itself (eventually)
warning: kpathsea: variable `ye' references itself (eventually)
warning: kpathsea: variable `g' references itself (eventually)
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$@'
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$%'
warning: kpathsea: variable `g' references itself (eventually)
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$¶'
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$É'
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$'
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$?'
warning: kpathsea: variable `h' references itself (eventually)
warning: kpathsea: variable `h' references itself (eventually)
warning: kpathsea: variable `h' references itself (eventually)
warning: kpathsea: variable `h' references itself (eventually)
warning: kpathsea: variable `h' references itself (eventually)
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$*'
warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$f'
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
 what():  St9bad_alloc
Aborted (core dumped)

and the system warns that it is running low on virtual memory.

gcc, g77 and g++ all work fine on various smaller programs that I have available. I'll run the gcc test suite whilst I am at work.

Paul T

Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research
BioControl Medical BCM