R graphics

From: Mike Miller
Subject: R graphics
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:46:36 -0500 (CDT)

It is great to have many of the standard MATLAB commands for graphics in Octave, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to massively expand graphical capabilities by adding some of the R functionality to Octave.

R is a GNU package and it is doing really well with its statistical graphics. If we had a way to take that free R graphical functionality and use it in Octave, I think it would be great.

Maybe it's a crazy idea, but both R and Octave are GNU projects that do similar things. I would love to see more integration of the two, and not just in graphics. If there were a way for Octave to make calls to R for things like regression, loess, etc., it might give us a big boost in functionality for a relatively small amount of work (just *relatively* small -- I'm sure it would be a major effort). I just found this web site...

http://www.omegahat.org/RMatlab/

...and am cc'ing the author (Duncan Temple Lang) on this message. His RMatlab is distributed under the GPL. Maybe it could be adapted for Octave and R.

I think some people on this list have been making contributions both to R and to Octave, so maybe they can tell us if there is some merit (or no merit) to my idea.

Mike

P.S.  This is a handy page for Octave users who want to learn some R:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/R-and-octave-2.txt

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor