Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 17:42:31 -0500

Matlab has on problem with this   -- so is Octave broke????

EDU» acosh(-7.2718e+15 + 1.3382e+15i)

ans =

  0.3466- 2.3562i

EDU»

Doug Stewart

address@hidden wrote:

Good afternoon,

I've got a problem calculating "acosh". I have to calculate cosh^(-1) of a very
large complex number (-7.2718e+15 + 1.3382e+15i). If I try to calculate the
value of acosh on the command line of octave, the result is "Inf". If I've got
the same in a script, the script apparently uses this "result" for further
calculations and   I'm very suspicious about the output from this script. Is
there a limit for the value that one can use when evaluating acosh???

Thanks,

Hana.