chol2inv for Octave?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: chol2inv for Octave?
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 23:59:31 -0500 (CDT)

A friend who uses R a lot was just showing me that to compute the inverse of a symmetric positive-definite matrix, R has the function "chol2inv" which takes the Cholesky upper triangle of the symmetric PD matrix as input and returns the inverse of the symmetric PD matrix as output. Thus, one may get the inverse of a symmetric PD matrix 'M' by doing this:

chol2inv(chol(M))

In R, this runs twice as fast as solve(M), which is R's command for computing the inverse. Comparing R to Octave on the same machine and using a 1000 x 1000 matrix M, I find that R's solve(M) is slower by about 25% than Octave's inv(M), but R's chol2inv(chol(M)) is much faster. In fact, chol2inv(chol(M) in R is about as fast as inv(chol(M)) in Octave, but R is computing the inverse of M and Octave is computing the inverse of chol(M).

So I'm wondering why Octave doesn't have a chol2inv function!  ;-)
Maybe it has one and I just can't find it.

Regards,

Mike